As you enter into this week, I invite you to commit time to prayer. Ask God to show you with greater clarity the character of his Son. Ask God to show you . Ask God to give you a fresh vision of the glory which awaits you in and through the risen Christ. If you would like additional help searching your heart amidst the stories of Christ’s passion you will encounter this week, I will be available to pray and discern with you all week; please consider stopping by my office at Wayne UMC.
- Palm Sunday, March 20: this coming Sunday we will usher in Holy Week with the dramatic dual liturgies of The Palms and The Passion. As we play the part of the Jerusalem crowds both at the beginning of Christ’s final week and at the end, we discover how dramatically our sin has blinded and confused us. 4:00 pm at Wayne UMC.
- Maundy Thursday, March 24: We will join the Methodists for Maundy Thursday. We will join with them in a contemporary adaptation of the medieval Tenebrae service followed by Holy Communion. 7:00 pm at Wayne UMC.
- Good Friday, March 25: at noon we will join other churches in Wayne for their traditional community prayer service. A procession with the cross begins at 11:45 am at St. Katherine of Sienna Roman Catholic Church, and concludes at noon at Wayne UMC for the prayer service. You may either join in the procession at St. Kats or wait at Wayne UMC for the full service.
- Good Friday, March 25: Christ Church will host its own special service of remembrance of our Lord’s passion on Friday evening. A traditional service of Evening Prayer will be accented by special devotions appropriate for Good Friday designed to focus our attention on the crucified Christ and his saving concern for the whole world. 7:00 pm at Wayne UMC.
- Holy Saturday, March 26: Christ Church will also host the Great Vigil of Easter on Saturday night. It is perhaps the most ancient of all the annual liturgies of the church, with roots in the third century. It takes us by candlelight through the Old Testament story of salvation and brings us with triumphant joy to the first celebration of the Resurrection in the Easter season. 8:00 pm at Wayne UMC. (Bring a bell or other noise-maker to celebrate!)
- Easter Sunday, March 27: our normal service on Sunday will be enhanced by a triumphal march and celebratory music. After the service, we will gather for our annual Easter Potluck organized by Karen Adams. We will provide a ham and drinks; email Karen what you would like to bring to share. 4:00 pm at Wayne UMC.