Celebration of Discipline Lenten Study and Potluck
- February 25: Prayer (Luke 11:1-13, Foster chapter 3), led by Lillian Smith, pastor, St. Matthew's UMC.
- March 4: Study (Rom. 12:1-2, Foster chapter 5), led by Joe DiPaolo, pastor, Wayne UMC.
- March 11: Fasting (Matt. 6:16-21, Foster chapter 4), led by Gary Jacabella, pastor, Berwyn UMC.
- March 18: Service (Matt. 20:20-28), Foster chapter 9), led by Rashad Grove, pastor, First Baptist of Wayne
- March 25: Worship (John 4:19-26, Foster chapter 11), led by Adam Rick, yours truly.
Why: It is all the more appropriate that we would reacquaint and equip ourselves with these disciplines during the season of Lent, when we are all called to a special examination of our progress with the Lord. Remember, though, that these disciplines in themselves don't make us worthy of God's grace. We have received God's grace freely in Jesus, apart from works, that no one may boast. Having received this great gift, it is our privilege to respond with gratitude with all that we are. These disciplines help us to do just that.
When: Wednesdays in Lent, excluding Holy Week, from 6:00 to 7:30. Dinner at 6:00, study at 6:40.
Where: St. Matthew's United Methodist Church, 600 Walker Rd, Wayne, PA 19087.
What to bring: Your Bible, Richard Foster's Celebration of Discipline, and food to share.
- Buy Richard Foster's Celebration of Discipline here.
- Go deeper with his companion volume Spiritual Classics: Select Readings on the Twelve Spiritual Disciplines, which you can purchase here. (We will not be using this volume in our study officially, but it is a great companion volume which will acquaint you with some of the great spiritual writers of the past.)